Wednesday, June 22, 2011

And so it Begins

Getting started on a new collage is very hard for me. I still haven't yet wrapped my brain around the problem of how to create these things..The technique is not the issue at all, but more the story. It seems as if the images suggest a narrative to me, but not until I physically put them together. I have no idea where the process will take me. But today, I am allowing this lady of Delhi to begin the story. She reminds me of a touristic folk painting that my parents used to have up in their house. It depicted a sari clad woman carrying a water pot on her head. She was painted in glowing color on a velvety black background, the ultimate cliche of Indian womanhood, I suppose. With supple grace and beauty, and dutiful as well, she served as the domestic goddess of my parents' wallscape.  The woman in my photograph seems a little more earthbound, but perhaps she will still inspire an idea for a new collage.


1 comment: